Saturday, July 10, 2010

Strange Network / Web Site behavior

Something very odd happened when I transferred web sites from one network to another, and view them using one particular network provider.

If I hit the web sites in rapid succession the images go all wacky and some images will get displayed multiple times when they are only supposed to be displayed once, for instance. These are straight html pages - about as basic as you can get.

I cannot reproduce this skewing of the web pages when working locally on the machine that is hosting the web site.

I also noticed that when I strolled down to the local coffee shop with my laptop I could not reproduce this funky behavior. This leads me to believe that the problem is due to the network or software thereon of the ISP at the particular location having the problem. It seems like something is capturing and altering the results of the request in transit and at some point before reaching my computer they are getting skewed.

Will have to research further.

7/15/2010

Interesting...last night I uncovered that my mail seemed to be going through a proxy server. They claimed that my network traffic was not going out through any proxy servers previously, but I asked them to double check the web traffic since obviously something was affecting the email traffic and sending it where it shouldn't be going.

Magically today, I have not yet been able to reproduce whatever was causing web sites to be skewed. I have not yet tested on Comcast network again.