Monday, March 23, 2009

ProntoScript

I recently finished a project using ProntoScript which is used to create customized functions on some Philips remote controls with touch screens. I got a call to troubleshoot some issues displaying images from security cameras on the touch screen. I made a few code changes, however the main problem was the camera software was set up so the remote control software didn't have permissions to view the photos coming from the security cameras. We made some changes to the settings to allow the calls from the remote control to access the camera images.

The only issue is, by allowing a guest user to access the security camera with no login, anyone who can get to that URL could view the images over the Internet. I recommended that my client do something like set up a proxy server that could login to get the images from the camera, so only the remote control camera could get to the proxy with no login on the local network, but anyone coming over the Internet would have to login to view those images. There may also be a way to pass a login to the security cameras but I was not asked to look into that further (so far).