Friday, August 23, 2013

AWS SDK: Missing requirements


If you're having problems installing the AWS SDK for Java:

http://aws.amazon.com/sdkforjava/

Error messages I've Seen:
  • The software items you selected may not be valid with your current installation. Do you want to open the wizard anyway to review the selections?
  • Cannot find a solution satisfying the following requirements  org.eclipse.swt [3.4.0v3448f]
  •  AWS SDK for Java 2.0.0.v201212211205 (com.amazonaws.eclipse.sdk.
    feature.feature.group 2.0.0.v201212211205)
    Missing requirement: IdentityManagement 1.0.0.v201308121803 (com.amazonaws.eclipse.identitymanagement 1.0.0.v201308121803) requires 'bundle com.amazonaws.eclipse.ec2 1.1.0' but it could not be found
  • Cannot satisfy dependency:
    From: AWS Toolkit for Eclipse Core 2.0.1.v201308121803 (com.amazonaws.eclipse.core.feature.feature.group 2.0.1.v201308121803)
    To: com.amazonaws.eclipse.identitymanagement [1.0.0.v201308121803]
  • Cannot satisfy dependency: From: AWS SDK for Java 2.0.0.v201212211205 (com.amazonaws.eclipse.sdk.feature.feature.group 2.0.0.v201212211205) To: com.amazonaws.eclipse.core.feature.feature.group 1.0.1
Solutions:

Make sure you are downloading software from the correct site within Eclipse:

Add this site to your download sites in Eclipse (AWS instructions should explain how if you haven't read those already):

http://aws.amazon.com/eclipse

Missing Requirement Errors

Java programs have libraries they depend on to run (like many other languages). In order for one piece of software to install it may require the libraries it needs to be installed before it will allow you to install it. That's what all the missing requirement messages are about. I'm not sure what library contains what component above but by process of elimination and installing one library at a time I can get them to install by figuring out the correct order (and hopefully this is magically fixed in a future release).

 I have the AWS SDK working on Windows 8 with Eclipse Juno version with JDK 7. When I first installed I got an error stating a requirement was missing. I installed the AWS core package first and then I was able to install the rest.

I am helping a friend so decided to try installing again on Windows XP with old Ganymede version of Eclipse, JDK 6. Well first of all this doesn't work because you need an up to date version of Eclipse. So I figured I would install the latest which is Kepler (I installed Juno on the other machine a while back so at the time it was the latest). I had some problems installing Kepler even after upgrading to Java 7. It's not working possibly because I am using XP which is not a target platform but did get it to open. It just won't let me create a new project. But I tried installing AWS anyway.

I installed the packages in this order and got most of them installed (restarting in between each library):

#1 I tried to install core and that failed
#2 I tried to install AWS SDK and that failed
#3 I installed EC2 management - that worked and also installed the core package.
#4 Then I installed the SDK for Java
#5 Next DynamoDB library
#6 Workflow Management
#7 Elastic Beanstalk
#8 Cloud Formation

That left me with the following libraries which I could not install:

SimpleDB Management
RDS
Android

It appears these missing libraries in the error messages below may have been part of an older version of Eclipse (or perhaps because I don't have Eclipse working correctly they cannot be found). I could try to find these libraries in an older version of Eclipse or install an older version of Eclipse but since I have this working on Windows 8 + Juno just going to use that for now and hope installing in order resolves my friend's issue.

If you want to attempt finding the libraries you could try what I just suggested regarding Eclipse libraries and versions - or hopefully Amazon fixes this shortly...

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Older_Versions_Of_Eclipse

Error messages:

Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
Software currently installed: Amazon RDS Management 1.0.0.v201308121803 (com.amazonaws.eclipse.rds.feature.feature.group 1.0.0.v201308121803)
Missing requirement: RDS 1.0.0.v201308121803 (com.amazonaws.eclipse.rds 1.0.0.v201308121803) requires 'bundle org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.ui.dse 1.1.0' but it could not be found
Cannot satisfy dependency:
From: Amazon RDS Management 1.0.0.v201308121803 (com.amazonaws.eclipse.rds.feature.feature.group 1.0.0.v201308121803)
To: com.amazonaws.eclipse.rds [1.0.0.v201308121803]

I was not able to install the Android library because I got the following error:

Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
  Software being installed: AWS SDK for Android 1.0.0.v201212110105 (com.amazonaws.eclipse.android.sdk.feature.feature.group 1.0.0.v201212110105)
  Missing requirement: AWS SDK for Android 1.0.0.v201212110105 (com.amazonaws.eclipse.android.sdk.feature.feature.group 1.0.0.v201212110105) requires 'com.android.ide.eclipse.adt 18.0.0' but it could not be found


Related: Installing Eclipse and Java JDK

  • If you need to upgrade Eclipse do not install one version over the other. Download the new version of eclipse and install it in it's own directory. 
  • I chose to install the Eclipse IDE for Java Developers
  • Make sure you have an up to date Java JDK. Install Java SE to get the JDK, not just a JRE. If you don't know what that means, read up on it but for now just go to this page and click the download button under JDK: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
  • Make sure you install the 32 bit version of both JDK and Eclipse if on a 32 bit operating system. Install the 64 bit version if you are on a 64bit operating system. If you are not sure which you have get a new computer and you'll have a 64 bit machine :) Or...read about that elsewhere. I had someone insisting to me he installed the correct version but after checking this was the problem...so double check you downloaded the correct version.
  • If you try to run Eclipse and it doesn't work, run from command line by opening command prompt window, navigate to the folder where eclipse.exe that you downloaded is located and type this command to start Eclipse and get debug information: eclipse -debug -console